- Over 30 years experience in the Property & Casualty, Life and Accident & Sickness Insurance Industry.
- Insurance Underwriter; Retail Broker/Agent; Marketing co-ordinator, Business Relations; Insurance Executive; Risk Manager; Small Business Owner.
- Employed by Insurance Companies; Retail Brokerage employee; Insurance Brokerage Owner/Principal; Managing General Agent(s), Insurance & Risk Management Consulting.
- Experience with most classes of business including most Personal lines, Commercial Lines, Life and Accident & Sickness coverage.
- Underwritten Insurance across Canada from British Columbia to Prince Edward Island.Integrated a “front end” paperless environment through document management and operational workflows processes.
- Rationalized the product mix including risk tolerance, underwriting guidelines and target business segments resulting in greater customer focus and corporate profitability.
- Consolidation of over 600 commercial and personal wordings, coverage’s and endorsements to a manageable inventory allowing for greater risk management, claims settlement, underwriting standards and practice and product development and growth.
- Technical lead on our corporate and regulatory audit and control function and developed “best practices” for the company, providing a positive learning environment for continuous improvement annually.
|Imrie Risk Management Solutions Ltd.
CEO, Senior Risk Management Consultant
|May 2014 to Present|
|Frank Cowan Company Limited.
Vice President – Underwriting
Responsible for the profitable growth and development of Property, Casualty and Automobile business as the underwriting lead for a Specialty Managing General Agent working on behalf of preferred Insurers. Major Segments include Municipal, Hospital, Education, Health Care and Community Service business.
|Feb 2010 to May 2014|
|Catlin Canada Inc.
Territory Underwriting Manager – South Western Ontario
Responsible for the development and growth of the Property & Casualty lines of business by establishing key broker relationships and profitable risk selection, underwriting and genuine personal service. Creating and executing on strategic business and marketing plans while working in tandem with other key managers and executives in Canada and globally, to form part of the management underwriting team.
|July 2009 to Feb 2010|
|Imrie Risk Management Solutions Ltd.
Specialized risk management and insurance advisory and consulting firm, offering services to corporate clients. Our purpose is to help our clients manage their corporate and operational risks more knowledgeably and cost-effectively, by providing them with technical advice on risk analysis and risk management issues.
|Dec 2008 to July 2009|
|Gore Mutual Insurance Company. Cambridge ON
Underwriting Director – Risk Management & Support
Expanded mandate to manage and drive the Personal & Commercial business units ensuring adequate profitability and premium targets are achieved and that effective and efficient Underwriting, Risk Management, Audit & Regulatory protocols are in place and utilized.
|2000 to Dec 2008|
|Underwriting Director – Commercial Lines
Initial mandate was to assess the Commercial Lines business model and develop and execute a strategy to re-establish the company as a market leader for small to medium enterprise business.
|2000 to 2004|
|Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company. Toronto ON
Commercial Underwriting Manager
|1997 to 2000|
|The Insurance Managers & Financial Services Ltd. Woodstock, Tillsonburg, Norwich & Delhi Insurance Broker, Founding President||1995 to 1997|
|Imrie & Associate Insurance Brokers Ltd. Tillsonburg ON
Insurance Broker Owner, Entrepreneur
|1989 to 1997|
|Jamieson-Hilts Insurance Brokers Ltd. Woodstock ON
Insurance Broker, Marketing Co-ordinator
|1986 to 1989|
|Guardian Insurance Company of Canada London ON
|1982 to 1986|
|Insurance Institute of America / CPCU||Completed 33 % of the Program to date||In Progress|
|Chartered Insurance Institute / ACII||Completion of final course for ACII in Fall||In Progress|
|Project Management Professional (PMP)||Project Management Institute||2005 to 2009|
|(Enrolled) International MBA – Heriot-Watt University||Edinburgh Business School (Scotland)||2005|
|Fellowship – Underwriting Major||Insurance Institute of Canada||2003|
|Master Manager Certification Program||Wilfrid Laurier School of Business||2000|
|Fellowship – Risk Management (FRM)||Global Risk Management Institute||1999|
|Fellowship – Risk Management Major||Insurance Institute of Canada||1997|
|Canadian Risk Manager (CRM)||Global Risk Management Institute||1997|
|Teaching Techniques Certificate||Insurance Institute of Canada||1983|
|Fellowship – Management Major (FIIC, FCIP)||Insurance Institute of Canada||1986 to 1989|
|Canadian Chartered Insurance Broker (CCIB)||Insurance Brokers Association of Canada||1988 to 1989|
|Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker (CAIB)||Insurance Brokers Association of Canada||1987 to 1989|
|Associateship (AIIC)||Insurance Institute of Canada||1982 to 1985|
|Fanshawe College||Business Administration – Finance||1980 to 1982|
|Greater Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce||2014 to Present|
|Risk Management Consultants of Ontario||2014 to Present|
|Lloyd’s Market Association||2014 to Present|
|Registered Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (Designated Individual)||2014 to Present|
|Honorable Order of the Blue Goose International (Ontario Pond)||2014 to Present|
|Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS)||2012 to Present|
|The Chartered Insurance Institute||2010 to Present|
|Property Casualty Underwriters Club / PCUC||2005 to 2013|
|Project Management Institute / PMI||2005 to 2009|
|Insurance Institute of Canada (Board Member of Governors)||2005 to 2007|
|Insurance Institute of Ontario (Conestoga Chapter) – President||2005 to 2007|
|Global Risk Management Institute||1997 to Present|
|Rotary Club of Tillsonburg – President||1993 to 1994|
|Canada Trust Friends of Environment – Founding President, Tillsonburg, ON||1992 to 1993|
|Superintendent of Insurance (Life Agent including Accident & Sickness)||1989 to 2003|
|Insurance Institute of Ontario||1982 to Present|
|Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario||1986 to 1997|
|Registered Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (Designated Individual)||1989 to 1997|